Keep Your Heat Turned on During the Cold Snap: Call 211

Posted on January 6, 2011, by United Way in Pathways Out of Poverty Income

As cold temperatures linger in the Bay Area, residents who need help paying their PG&E bills can dial 211 to find out if they are eligible for energy assistance programs that serve our region. Residents can also call 211 to find emergency shelters, which have opened in several Bay Area counties to provide overnight accommodations during the coldest winter months.

211 referral service is free, confidential and available 24 hours a day in more than 150 languages. Residents who cannot dial 211 should call 800-273-6222 to reach a local 211 call center. For the hearing impaired, dial 711 or 415-808-4440 (TTY).

211 specialists can answer questions such as:

  • How do I apply for energy assistance?
  • What are the eligibility requirements?
  • Where can I find emergency shelter in my area?
  • What other kinds of assistance or community services may be available for me?

Learn more about 211 at

Latest Posts

More than 500 Local Youth Get Support at Summer Jobs + Fair

The fourth annual Summer Jobs+ Youth Resource Fair was a HUGE success! M…

California Needs Its Own EITC

California has the highest poverty rate in the nation. A full 23 percen…

Thank You, Wells Fargo!

For the sixth year in a row, Wells Fargo employees throughout the count…