An Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to a Diverse Workforce
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: Accounting Supervisor
Department: Finance & Gift Processing
Reports to: Vice President/Controller
Closing Date: Open until filled
The United Way Bay Area (UWBA) is leading a network of corporations, government agencies, nonprofits, and individuals to create lasting change for Bay Area residents and families. With a history that spans over 90 years and programs that tackle the issue of local poverty from every angle, UWBA is uniquely positioned to mobilize and motivate all sectors of the community toward the vision of ending the cycle of poverty.
As UWBA responds to cultural shifts in the workplace, fundraising, and digital communications, it is guided by core values of innovation and results-driven creativity. Through a variety of existing and emerging initiatives, UWBA seeks to both strengthen and reimagine its work at all levels in order provide more and better opportunities for struggling Bay Area residents.
The Accounting Supervisor manages the work of two finance staff members. In this newly created position, the successful candidate will focus on ensuring that all United Way Bay Area (UWBA) revenue, donor designations, and expenses are recorded in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and United Way Worldwide (UWW) standards. S/he will be accountable for the following areas of the finance department portfolio:
• UWBA Community Impact project accounting
• Bi-weekly trade payable check runs
• Reconciliation of investments
• Semi-monthly payroll and related journal entries
• Timely and accurate production of financial reporting
• Preparation of fixed asset and depreciation schedules
What you’ll do:
• Working with the Vice President/Controller and the Lead Accountant, execute month-end
and year-end close; deliver all internal, board, and external financial reporting.
• Supervise and review bi-weekly A/P check runs, verify proper approvals and ensure accurate booking of expenses to cost centers as well as to appropriate G/L accounts
• Review and approve financial transactions, including deposits, disbursements, accruals, journal entries, and supporting reconciliations
• Prepare monthly reconciliation of UWBA investment accounts
• Direct preparation of semi-monthly payroll, act as payroll backup
• Conduct payroll and revenue orientation for new hires
• Assure overtime, vacation payouts and PTO accruals are calculated correctly
• Approve and verify entry of all PCFs, PAFs, salary and benefit changes, garnishments, and 401(k) loans, coordinating with Human Resources to ensure seamless information flow
• Prepare payroll journal entries and monitor periodic update of benefits rates.
• Monitor systems, workflows, and procedures to ensure timely, accurate customer billings
• Advise Vice President/Controller regarding developing issues. Recommend solutions
• Collaborate with Vice President/Controller in the design, implementation, and enforcement of internal controls for the purpose of preserving and protecting UWBA assets and insuring the accurate recording and reporting of transactions
• As delegated by the Vice President/Controller, prepare work-papers and schedules for the annual and periodic audits, inclusive of workers’ compensation audit.
• Actively partner with the Vice President/Controller and the COO in the annual budget and forecasting process
• Participate in cross-functional teams focused on innovation and improvement of companywide processes and collaborative efforts
• Augment existing departmental expertise by becoming a subject matter expert in all financial systems and in Salesforce–act as department Salesforce champion
• Review and approve recording of receipts; monitor revenue streams to ensure appropriate revenue recognition
• Review and approve all revenue and donor designations-related journal entries to the general ledger and subsidiary ledger accounts
• Oversee preparation of and approve all month-end and year-end receivable, revenue and donor designations account reconciliations
• Develop and maintain direct relationships with vendors and donors to optimize collection of receivables and ensure timely payments to vendors, grantees, and designated charities
• Other special projects and responsibilities as assigned
Who you are:
• B.A. or B.S. in Accounting or commensurate experience
• 5 or more years of overall work experience demonstrating progressively greater responsibility
• 3 or more years of supervisory experience
• 2 or more years of payroll experience
• Superior customer service skills
• Crisp, clear, and diplomatic writing and oral communication skills
• Proven success in learning new software platforms and applications
• Excellent project and time management skills
• Nonprofit and Salesforce experience will be considered a significant plus
Salary: $75,000.00 – 85,000.00 Salary Exempt
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
UWBA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender (including actual or perceived gender, and gender identity), sexual orientation, age, marital status, medical condition, religious affiliation, veteran status, national origin, citizenship status, mental or physical disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable state, federal or local law. UWBA will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in the manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. If you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for a job, please let us know. If the reason you need an accommodation is not obvious, we may ask for documentation confirming your functional limitations.
Please include salary requirements in cover letter.