Program Specialist (Earn It! Keep It! Save It!)
Department: Community Investment Team
Program: Earn It! Keep It! Save It!
Reports to: Director, Earn It! Keep It! Save It!
Classification: Union Support
Closing Date: Open until filled, we will review applications on a rolling basis
The United Way Bay Area (UWBA) is leading a network of corporations, government agencies, nonprofits, and individuals to create lasting change for Bay Area residents and families. With a history that spans over 90 years and programs that tackle the issue of local poverty from every angle, UWBA is uniquely positioned to mobilize and motivate all sectors of the community toward the vision of ending the cycle of poverty.
As UWBA responds to cultural shifts in the workplace, fundraising, and digital communications, it is guided by core values of innovation and results-driven creativity. Through a variety of existing and emerging initiatives, UWBA seeks to both strengthen and reimagine its work at all levels in order provide more and better opportunities for struggling Bay Area residents.
Earn It! Keep It! Save It! (EKS) is a United Way Bay Area-led program which provides low-income working families with free tax return preparation (VITA) in partnership with the IRS. The program supports United Way’s goal of breaking the cycle of poverty by ensuring families claim valuable tax credits. The EKS Program Associate is a full-time position which contributes to the effective and successful implementation of this 8-county program and provides strategic program support to the regional program and specific counties.
VITA is a national, free tax preparation program administered by the IRS. Now in it’s 50th year, VITA volunteers provide free tax preparation for clients making generally less than $55,000. In the Bay Area, more than 200 partners come together under the leadership of United Way Bay Area to provide tax assistance to tens of thousands of clients each year.
What you’ll do:
EKS/VITA Program Management
• Manage county coalitions and provide technical assistance for tax sites in specific counties as assigned
• Certify to the advanced tax preparer level of the IRS VITA program
• Coordinate logistics and facilitate volunteer training, tax site coordinator meetings and training, and external meetings
• Cultivate and maintain partnerships with local and national partners which support EKS program goals including, but not limited to, community-based organizations, businesses, municipal and county agencies, and IRS SPEC
• Outreach, Training, and Public Speaking
• Train volunteers, site coordinators, and non-profit partners using training templates
• Create outreach strategies and personally contact new volunteers, partner organizations, local businesses and more
• Provide presentations about EKS as needed
• Cultivate new regional and county level partnerships to expand program’s reach in under-served areas or to deepen related initiatives
• Visit VITA sites, give presentations, and conduct outreach in your assigned counties and assist other EKS team members in their counties as needed
• Collaborate with the EKS Team
• Provide input and assist EKS Team with program design, implementation, and strategic initiatives as needed
• Work collaboratively with the EKS team to support other components of our program including the savings initiative, Virtual VITA, training curriculum development, story collection, marketing, social media, and other duties as needed
• Serve as the lead associate on specific regional goals
• Research additional funding opportunities; write grant proposals and grant reports, as assigned
Who you are:
• 2-5 years of related volunteer or professional experience, preferably in a non-profit or National Service capacity
• VITA experience highly desired • Experience working effectively with diverse populations and in a culturally sensitive environment
• Excellent project management and organizational skills
• Effective presentation and meeting facilitation skills
• Passion for volunteerism and community service
• Team player, flexible and able to work with humor and grace under pressure.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint); database and CRM software (Salesforce); use of online resources and applications.
• Fluency in Spanish, Chinese, or Vietnamese a plus
• Access to a car, valid California Driver’s License with car insurance and a clean driving record are conditions of initial and continued employment. Flexibility and mobility to travel to off-site locations within or outside San Francisco as needed.
Salary: $50,000.00 – 55,000.00 Salary Non-Exempt
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
UWBA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender (including actual or perceived gender, and gender identity), sexual orientation, age, marital status, medical condition, religious affiliation, veteran status, national origin, citizenship status, mental or physical disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable state, federal or local law. UWBA will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in the manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. If you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for a job, please let us know. If the reason you need an accommodation is not obvious, we may ask for documentation confirming your functional limitations.
Please include salary requirements in cover letter.