Director, CSR Sales and Business Development
Reports to: Chief Development Officer
Classification: Union Professional
Closing Date: Open until filled
The United Way Bay Area (UWBA) is leading a network of corporations, government agencies, nonprofits, and individuals to create lasting change for Bay Area residents and families. With a history that spans over 90 years and programs that tackle the issue of local poverty from every angle, UWBA is uniquely positioned to mobilize and motivate all sectors of the community toward the vision of ending the cycle of poverty.
As UWBA responds to cultural shifts in the workplace, fundraising, and digital communications, it is guided by core values of innovation and results-driven creativity. Through a variety of existing and emerging initiatives, UWBA seeks to both strengthen and reimagine its work at all levels in order provide more and better opportunities for struggling Bay Area residents.
The Director, CSR Sales and Business Development will play a vital role in developing client interest, selling, and closing contracts with Bay Area businesses for the revolutionary Salesforce Philanthropy Cloud (SPC). The platform was launched by Salesforce and the United Way in June, 2018, and is now being sold by United Ways across North America. Located as we are in the San Francisco Bay Area and counting Silicon Valley as one of our eight counties, we believe UWBA is poised to be a leader in positioning the Salesforce Philanthropy Cloud as a foundational CSR tool for business. For more information about the power, reach, and engagement potential of SPC see: https://goo.gl/XKCFJj.
This is a top-to-bottom, roll-up-your-shirt-sleeves kind of job. It includes everything from developing business cases and financial models to negotiating pricing and closing contracts, to administrative support, scheduling, and tracking activities.
As a member of our mission-driven nonprofit, the Director will directly engage with customer executive teams to help articulate the tangible, strategic, and financial impact that the SPC platform can deliver to their organizations. Ultimately, a core part of our work is to prepare and provide provocative and visionary direction for the CSR teams of corporate partners who invest in the Salesforce Philanthropy Cloud. The successful candidate for this job will be at the heart of that work.
We are looking for highly talented, inquisitive, creative and passionate individuals who can articulate to customers how the SPC solution will enable them to meet their CSR strategic and financial objectives, help tackle their most business-critical challenges, enable rapid growth and scale-ability, and deepen employee engagement.
What you’ll do:
• Design and deliver compelling business case presentations and financial models aimed at identifying, accelerating, justifying, and/or expanding sales opportunities.
• Create thought-provoking executive proposals to engage customers in long-term business relationships.
• Side-by-side with executive, development, and marketing team members, work closely with prospective and existing customers to identify, prioritize, and quantify key business drivers and metrics, and help customers understand how our solutions will enable them to achieve their strategic CSR and engagement goals.
• Partner with internal and external stakeholders to develop and deliver custom proposals and deal structures. This could include leadership, collaboration, and supporting roles, depending on what’s needed to get the job done.
• Across a wide range of companies and industries, facilitate internal and external discovery to map out customers’ “as is” and “to be” business processes, with the goal of identifying and prioritizing key business value drivers.
• Partner with the CDO and workplace campaign staff, to envision, design, and deliver the workplace campaign of the future, utilizing tools as varied as design thinking and observation of traditional workplace campaigns.
• Provide thought leadership, training, and consultative partnership with sales and other teams throughout and beyond the sales cycle. This includes on-going partnership with teams at other United Ways, United Way Worldwide, and Salesforce.
• Attend to a full spectrum of “back office” sales activities. The scope of this work includes (but is not limited to) tracking activity for UWBA within our internal Salesforce instance as well as within the shared system-wide instance, scheduling meetings and calls, drafting correspondence, and generating reports.
Who you are:
• You are a results-oriented, strategic thinker who enjoys helping customers “cross the chasm” from current state to future state. You have a strong executive presence as well as outstanding presentation and facilitation skills. That’s why you are comfortable collaborating with and presenting to C-suite executives. You are skillful, poised, and confident in handling objections as well as in diplomatically moving skeptics to enthusiasm.
• As a creative, high energy, entrepreneurial self-starter, you are comfortable running initiatives and programs independently. You thrive when you are working at a “start-up pace”; you would shine in a technology company. With it all, you are hard-wired to collaborate and work cross-functionally, particularly with Sales, Marketing, Solution Engineering, Pricing, and Partners. You understand what it means to work with both mission-driven program staff and systems-driven operations teams. You can move fluidly between the many worlds that your work spans.
• The proven business insight and judgment evidenced by your deep quantitative analysis and financial modeling skills have earned you high regard in the past and will be welcomed at UWBA. Your grace under pressure and congenial appreciation of your colleagues draws people to you.
Education and Experience:
• A minimum of 5 years of business development experience, ideally in consultative, strategic, and analytical customer-facing roles.
• Experience in a high-energy, fast paced sales environment, preferably in technology or enterprise software.
• MBA degree preferred.
• CSR experience is a plus, as is expertise with Salesforce.
Salary: $60,000.00 – 75,000.00 Salary Exempt,
Aggressive commission structure with quarterly payments on closed sales
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
UWBA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender (including actual or perceived gender, and gender identity), sexual orientation, age, marital status, medical condition, religious affiliation, veteran status, national origin, citizenship status, mental or physical disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable state, federal or local law. UWBA will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in the manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. If you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for a job, please let us know. If the reason you need an accommodation is not obvious, we may ask for documentation confirming your functional limitations.
Please include salary requirements in cover letter.